Saturday, January 31, 2009

Would You Have Bought Me a Beer?

So I am sitting at Nationwide Arena last night, enjoying the Blue Jackets game against Ottawa when I get up to visit the men's room. It's early third period and the Jackets are clinging to a 1-0 lead so the place is still packed and tension is starting to rise.



Our seats in section 206 (upper bowl, corner) are in the smack-ass middle of the row so deciding which way to go out is always tough. I know if I go left (which I usually do) it means that a family of 5 needs to stand up, but they give us no hassles as they are used to it. Actually, we are always friendly and thankful for their courtesy.



But last night, there was some old fart who rolled his eyes every time someone needed to exit the row. Now, keep in mind that this dill-weed never once clapped, screamed or stood up to cheer the Blue Jackets so one wouldn't even know if he was even watching the game but Lord Almighty, when someone had to leave to take a piss, he was up in arms.



So I decided that after I "went to the Urination Station to make my bladder gladder" that I would enter back in from the other aisle. I felt this guy the old fart was one more passer-by from going postal on somebody.



Now, it appears that in actuality, it is three more seats farther from the other aisle but this was my first time coming in this way so people didn't care. I made it past quickly and people didn't miss any hockey. As I am about three seats away from my own seat, this douche bag sitting next to me stands up and knocks my three-quarter full beer out of it's drink holder onto the floor.



"Oh, I knocked your beer over," he says to me. "Sorry."



That's it? Not, "Oh shit dude. My bad. Let me walk my pasty-ass down and get you another one before they close the concession stands." Not "Dude, I am soooooooo sorry. Can I repay you for the lost suds?"



Now, I was pissed off but what am I supposed to do? Get into some sort of childish "you owe me a beer, you clumsy M.F" argument right there in the stands? I mean, there are kids around and I am a mature individual (insert sarcastic laughter here). I guess I was waiting for him to come back with one of the aforementioned responses but he just crossed his legs, turned his gaze to the ice and acted like it didn't happen.



Spilled beer is always a crime but when you drop a $7.00 beer, that's damn near a felony in this beer drinker's mind. If I was this guy, I probably would have been tempted to grab the 3/4 full beer his wife's friend's husband had and give it to me. Hell, he could have repaid him after the game at a bar or at home. But no, he acted like it didn't happen.



It's a good thing the Blue Jackets won the game because if they would have lost that game and I got my beer spilled, then I might have gotten more than two minutes in the penalty box for "game misconduct."



What would you have done? Would you have run down to get a new beer for me? Offered to reimburse me? Or ignored me the way this weasel did?



I know what I'll do next time. I'll bring my god dammed beer with me to the bathroom so no one will knock it over.



Go Jackets!

10 comments:

  1. He should have offered to buy you a beer...chances are you might have told him to forget it, OR, you could have shared a Grog together...Bad form on his part!

    Topp D

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - Have you seen Brad Pitt lately on TMZ? Homer isn't afraid to put a beer in his pocket while entering his limo after a night on the town....You should bring the sauce with you to the shi%%er! Don't trust a transplant from W VA to take care of your beer while "draining the main vein."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, ALWAYS take your beer to the bathroom! You can pour some out so you look COOOOOOOOL for the ladies.

    Also, if you leave the beer behind, some dipsh!t might put a "body part" in it and take a picture to show his frat bros.

    I'm thinking someone's beer needs to get knocked over during the next home game! "Vengeance is mine, sayeth the LORD!"

    PS: If it's the 3rd period, are they still selling beer? I'm not familiar with the rules for Canadian "sports."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell him to go back to attending Ohio State football/basketball games where good paying "certain" alumni can knit and read books to their hearts content. That's what makes Ohio State such an "intimidating" environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I love the tunes I can listen to while reading - good choices.
    Since the beer was in the cup holder not on the floor the guy should of bought you a new one - handed you a few bucks or at the very least I would have poured some of my beer into your glass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dude was completely out of line...if I was feeling ballsy that day I definitely would have said something. But then again you risk it turning into something bigger. I didn't spend $7 but we had free wine at that event on Friday and some lady came up and acted like my half-drunk glass was hers and drank the entire thing in one gulp and then walked away! People are just bizarre...

    ReplyDelete
  7. He should of bought you a beer. I would have. That's like liquid gold at those prices.

    I agree with Dave, pay backs are a bitch. Spill his next time. Or sneeze in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have bought you beer during the entire game, just for the opportunity to watch you cheer on the Jackets. Thank you for the new phrase: "Bladder Gladder".

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the great things about hockey is that there is clearly ediquette designed for maximizing the game experience. For example, ist verboten to get up or enter the seating area while the puck is in play. Also, standing while the action is going on is also a no-no.

    Becuase you were probably following the former you should feel no remorse for walking in front of the old fart. In fact I dare say you should have untucked your shirt and hung brain underneath. Then when you got in front of him you could raise your arms Poirpoise style and shout, Go Jackets! Thereby exposing him at eye level to your meat and two veg.

    Second observation. Yes, your neighbor should have bought you a beer. Or offered to buy you one. I say your case is strengthened by the fact that it was in a designated cup holder. If you had put it on the ground by his feet I'd say your case would be weakened. If he is a regular ticket holder I'd say that you might repay him by knocking over his O'Douls at the next game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dave, beer sales should run through mid-third period (10 minute mark). At least that's the way you should see it at the Solar Bears games where you frequently face-paint and go ape sh*t.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my site and adding a comment! Be sure to stop back later!