Wednesday, March 18, 2009

535 Fingers Pointing

The following is a letter that I sent to author and friend John Miller. John is the author of the best selling book on personal accountability QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life. If you haven't read this book, I would highly recommend it to you.



Dear John,

Is it just me or are there 535 pairs of hands pointing fingers in Washington these days? All I hear on the news is how “evil AIG” is paying bonuses to their executives with taxpayers money. And who is doing this moaning and whining? That’s right, the same 435 elected members of Congress and the 100 elected Senators from around the great nation. The same 535 people who decided to grant this money “on our behalf” in the first place.

Here’s how it seems to work:

Step 1. Spend my money
Step 2. Strut around your congressional districts and boast about how you helped “the common man” with your brave decision to help the largest of the American workhorse companies. Choosing not to is a decision “you couldn’t live with.”
Step 3. Watch what happens to the money (even though what some of the money was going towards was in written contracts)
Step 4. Feign disbelief and outrage, saying you’ve been duped!

I’ll be willing to bet that the same Congressmen pass out crisp $5 bills to their local homeless pan handlers when in front of a TV crew to look compassionate yet get angry when that same “beggar” runs to the nearest liquor store for a bottle of Old Crow. “How dare they spend my money (I earn from taxpayers) on themselves.”

At least Popeye’s Whempy said he would gladly pay you a $1 tomorrow for a hamburger today. No rouse, no “smoke and mirrors,” just a simple explanation of what he was going to do with the money.

Enough with the finger pointing Washington. With 535 fingers pointing at AIG, that leaves 1605 pointing back at you!

Thanks for letting me vent! I knew you’d understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my site and adding a comment! Be sure to stop back later!